Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

What To Do About Redemptions?

I'm generally not a big complainer when it comes to taking a stand against the card companies.  Sure, I have voiced my disdain for Panini on quite a few occasions but overall, I have never really been one to go out of my way to contact the companies and issue ultimatums and such (except with Panini).  I guess I have been one of the lucky ones for most of my collecting existence.  I have never been shorted a major hit in a box (except by Panini who conveniently explained it away).  I have never had any major damage done to a card in a box (minor ones yes but I didn't care).  I have also never been duped when it came to a redemption...until now I think.

Topps sent me multiple emails between yesterday and today saying that they were "behind" in processing my requests.  Requests for what?  I had forgotten what I sent in for.  It turns out, these are for the Rookie of the Week cards that were randomly given out to patrons of LCS's who purchased Topps product during the NFL regular season.  I had 5 weeks worth of redemptions sent in that I completely spaced it on until now.   Here is a sample of what they sent:
Dear Consumer.

This email is to inform you that the Topps Company is currently beyond the 15 week processing time allocated for the following redemption card:

PIN #:                         Product:                    Card/Player Name
XRRCBGB4NW        Topps                        Topps Football Gridiron Giveaway Week #1

Our staff is working diligently to process and ship your redemption card as soon as possible. Please continue to check your Online Redemption account for updates regarding the status of your card.

If you no longer wish to wait for the redemption card, please contact our Consumer Relations team in order to place a substitution request for a card of equal Beckett value.

Do not hesitate to contact our Consumer Relations department via phone at 1-800-489-9149 or via email at support@etopps.com for assistance. A consumer relations representative will be available to assist you Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30 pm (ET).

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
The Topps Company, Inc.
So since I guess I am a noob when it comes to the "bait and switch" merry-go-round that until now, I had only read about, does anyone have some advice out there in the blogosphere?  Has Topps come through before or should I go with what is behind door number 2?  Is there even a remote chance that after 15+ weeks, they will honor these cards?  Are they serious about the Beckett value comment?

1 comment:

  1. Here is a post detailing my experience with Topps "alternate" redemption policy.

    http://fanofreds.blogspot.com/2010/02/mail-in-redemption-woes-topps-redeemed.html

    Make of that what you will - I know I was a bit disappointed!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat about it. Leave a comment and start a discussion.