Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

The 2009-10 NHL Playoffs (Predictions)

I hate doing predictions on anything.  It doesn't matter what the sport is, I am no good at it.  Inevitably, whatever I pick is going to happen contrary to my initial reactions.  And yet...I keep doing it.  I can't even predict the weather correctly.  Today I said it would rain...it was sunny and 67. 

The playoffs are now set and we know what the match-ups will be.  I thought I would take a moment and give my prognostication just to see whether or not I keep my streak of being incorrect going.

First, the West.

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Colorado Avalanche - I am going to go out on a limb here and give this one to the Sharks in 4 games.  I think there is just too much power here for the Avs to have a chance.  I like the Avs.  I respect what they have done this year.  I just think the Sharks are a better team.  Sharks in 4.

#2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #7 Nashville Predators - This one won't be easy.  The Hawks have some problems in the net and I think it will push this longer than it should.  The Preds don't have enough scoring capabilities to withstand much past an extra game or so.  Chicago in 5.

#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 Los Angeles Kings
- This one is going to go the distance but in the end, I'm taking the Kings.  I just like what they bring to the table and I think they will find a way to make Luongo look like a fool.  Kings in 7.

#4 Phoenix Coyotes vs. #5 Detroit Red Wings - I'm going with the lower seed here too.  What a shock?  It is the Red Wings.  Let's all be honest here.  They are the hottest team in hockey right now and I don't think there is a team out here that want a piece of them.  Despite the tumultuous season in Phoenix and the shocking playoff bid, it comes to an end in the first round.  Wings in 6.

The Eastern Conference predictions.

#1 Washington Capitals vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens - Despite my general disdain for Washington and everything they stand for, they are the team to beat.  The Canadiens are not that team.  Caps in 4.

#2 New Jersey Devils vs. #7 Philadelphia Flyers - The Devils took the Atlantic with the Pens loss to Atlanta on Saturday.  I think their luck is running out.  The Flyers are going to make a big push as they tend to do in playoff time.  I think they will pull this one out, and quickly.  Flyers in 5

#3 Buffalo Sabres vs. #6 Boston Bruins - Here is my next bold prediction.  The Bruins have done pretty much everything they needed to do to get here.  They were in trouble late in the year because they weren't healthy and they couldn't put points on the board.  That has changed (just ask Carolina).  The Sabres best player is Ryan Miller, their goalie.  Not enough to win.  B's in 6.

#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Ottawa Senators - I'm playing my homer card here again.  I know the Pens are only one seed ahead of the Sens but they are light years ahead in the talent pool.  They have too many weapons on the ice and if Fleury gets into "playoff mode", he will be impenetrable.  Pens in 6.

Like I said...I suck at picking so if I get half of these right, I will be shocked.

Head on over to Capt. Canuck's site Waxaholic if you want to get in on a prediction contest for the playoffs. You can win stuff!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat about it. Leave a comment and start a discussion.