Search This Blog

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sunday Steeler 6-Pack

The second installment of a new "feature" here on The Real DFG is the Sunday Steeler 6-Pack.  Each Sunday of the NFL season, I will feature 6 random cards from my Pittsburgh Steelers' PC.  There is no rhyme or reason for any of them, just 6 random cards I pull out of one of my many boxes or binders of black and gold (and there are MANY) and maybe a comment or two.

Here We Go!

1976 Wonder Bread Franco Harris

Franco looks kind of confused on this card.  I think he isn't sure why he is posing in front of a bread truck.  At least the Wonder Bubble's on the packaging are the same colors as the diamonds on his logo.

1988 Swell Greats John Henry Johnson

John Henry Johnson was the first "Bus" in Pittsburgh, weighing in officially at 210lbs but playing closer to 225.  He made opponents on the defense fear him because he would hit them almost harder than they would hit him.  In six years with the Steelers, he rushed for 4,383 yards and held a team record 1,141 in 1962 until that guy right above here broke it in 1975.  He still holds two of the top six franchise rushing performances with 200 yards against the Browns and 182 vs. the Eagles.

This comes from the Swell Football Greats set which I used to see all the time but rarely find anymore.  I remember having a few packs of these back in the day.  I think they were in packs of 10 or 12.  I don't remember exactly but I know you could get complete sets of them that were cello wrapped.  The set cards had notches taken out of the tops though but the packs didn't.


2006 Fleer Focus Star Studded Die-Cut Plaxico Burress

All that promise.  All that potential.  All that...EGO!  Plax could have been great.  He could have been legendary.  But his antics, over-the-top attitude, and desire for a grander stage took him to places that he would soon regret.  Bad mouthing the team, making disparaging comments about the organization, leaving for more money, shooting himself in a club, serving jail time all followed.  But after all that, the Steelers gave him another opportunity.  Whether he would have made the team after camp is left to be seen.  Now, after a bad rotator cuff injury, we may have finally seen the last of Plax.


2007 Topps James Farrior
"James was named one of our captains each of the past eight years and that speaks volumes to what he has meant to so many great defenses.  He has been a leader for our defense on the field and an ambassador for the Steelers in the community.  We appreciate everything James has done and truly wish him nothing but the best." - - Steeler's President Art Rooney after announcing the release of Farrior in 2012.

1996 Steelers Team Schedule

"Well that's not a card at all," you say.  I know.  It isn't.  I collect this kind of stuff too.  Especially for my Pittsburgh teams.  I have about 30 or so team schedules of all different stuff.

Lets see...how did the Stillers do in the 1996 season.  They just came off a big loss in the Super Bowl, usually they have that one horrible year after decent playoff runs...They finished 10-6...better than I anticipate this years team to do.  In 1996, they finished 1st in the AFC Central, decimated the Colts in the Wild Card game, but lost the Pats in the Divisional Game.  Not likely to see that happen this year.

1968 Topps Bill Saul

I will admit that I don't know a lot about Saul.  I know he was from Butler, Pennsylvania (a hometown boy).  I know he went to Penn State.  I know he was a Steeler for the longest part of his career and he played for three other teams as well.  I don't know what kind of player he was or anything like that.  But something else I know, he was the first player ever miked up by NFL Films during the taping of a live game.  That's something, right?  

This is technically his rookie card (might even be his only card), although he is pictured here in a Baltimore Colts uniform and he had already played two seasons for them and four for Pittsburgh by the time this card was made.  You would think Topps would have had at least one picture of him in a Steelers uniform, wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat about it. Leave a comment and start a discussion.