Search This Blog

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Why Is Olympic Hockey Taking Over My Life?

That's a question that I have been asking myself since a few weeks ago when I found myself reading player bios of all the USA women's team.  Normally I am not that into the Olympic games, although I do find myself watching the winter ones more than the summer ones.  For some reason though, this year has caught my attention more than in years past.  I attribute this to three things...

1.  I think the majority of my enthusiasm is due to the fact that for the first time that I can remember, Olympic hockey is taking center stage.  Many of the previous Olympics failed to televise the games or, because of time differences, had the games on in the wee hours of the morning.  Now that NBC has the rights to televise all the events, they are using all of their stations, including MSNBC and CNBC, to show the games (although thus far the coverage has been less than stellar). 

2.   The hype machine is working overtime.  Advertising is being shoved down our throats it seems this year even more than when the games were held in the US in 2002.

3.  The games so far have lived up to their potential, for the most part.  Both the men's and women's games have been highly entertaining.  Even the mismatches have yielded some great goal tending and some amazing scoring.  I am jacked up for Super Sunday's matchup between the US and Canada.  That game can determine the gold medal.

I can't wait for the second half of the NHL season to start but these games have definitely been a welcomed distraction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat about it. Leave a comment and start a discussion.