Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A little less LighTning in San Diego

Well the honeymoon is over.  And for that matter, the marriage.  After nine phenomenal seasons, the San Diego Chargers released arguably the greatest running back of the modern era, LaDainian Tomlinson.

I think anyone who pays close enough attention to the NFL was not surprised by this move, nor was I.  LT was due to make $5 million for 2010 as well as being paid a roster bonus of another $2 million in March.  Paying a guy that has become hampered by injuries in the last few years that kind of money for sitting on the bench was not in the Charger's budget even though he still had 2 years left on his contract. 

I guess the real question is where will he end up?  I don't think he is done yet.  If he can stay healthy, he probably could play in most systems for another 2-3 years, albeit in a much diminished role.  Something tells me that won't be to his liking though.  He has already publicly said that he wants to play for a contender. 

My only question is why did he waste the last nine years in San Diego then?

So who is on the short list of teams that may have interest?  I am no speculator but from a attentive observers position, I can think of at least a dozen teams that could be, if not should be, interested in his services.  The Texans have already said they are "afraid" of older backs and are going to take a pass, despite having one of the worst running attacks in the NFL last year.  I see other contenders like the Patriots (why not?) or the Packers.  Or how about the Vikings?  I know they have Chestor Taylor as a backup to AP but could you imagine a 1-2 punch combo with AP and LT?  I'm only saying...
Who wouldn't want the services of a man with this resume? 

**2nd All Time - Rushing TDs (138)
**3rd All Time - Total TDs (153)
**8th All Time - Rushing Yards (12,490)
**2 Time Rushing Title Champion (2006, 2007)
**NFL MVP - 2006

I know I did.  He was my primary back for fantasy football for four years out of the 11 I have played.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat about it. Leave a comment and start a discussion.