Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

Working on something for everyone...

(I know, stealing images from old album covers is wrong.  But it fits.)

That's right, kids!!  You heard me correctly.  Despite the countless additions to my PC and the seemingly endless box breaks, coupled with the trips to shows, my LCS, and numerous collection acquisitions...I'm going to now do something I have never done.  What is it, you ask?  Quite simply...

THE REAL DFG's FIRST EVER MID-SUMMER PRE-SEASON AFFORDABLE COMMUNITY GROUP HOCKEY BOX BREAK EXTRAVAGANZA!!!

or

The RDFGFEMSPSACGHBBE for short.  On second thought, let's just go with Group Break.

I thought long and hard over this one and decided to give the fans what they wanted (actually no one wanted it but I thought it would break up the monotony).  Believe it or not, I am growing tired of opening stuff just to throw it all into a box or binder and forget that I have it.  I love to share (brag) about what I open but I lack the originality to pull it off in an entertaining way.  It's also taking way too long to catalog everything I have, too long to separate out what is for keeps and what is sell-able, too long to create lists of what I need to complete more sets of newly busted wax, and I just don't have the time that I used to.  So the beneficiaries of my little, oh, we'll call it a funk...will be the readers of the blog.

I don't have all the details ironed out yet but it will be open to all the readers and even non-readers if they crawl out of the woodwork (and pay me).  As the title suggests, it is going to be HOCKEY related so the teams will all be NHL based.  I know, I know.  Hockey breaks generally don't do too well historically.  Well, I'm being optimistic here.  I haven't seen anyone try one of these in a while (at least not with non-high end stuff) and there are way too many hockey collectors out there in blog-o-land currently to not be able to pull off something like this.

I'm looking to mix this up a bit with some early 2000s Pacific branded stuff since I have received numerous comments from other readers and bloggers about how they enjoy those because not many collectors have a ton of this stuff.  Depending on what happens between now and probably the middle of next week when I decide to open these flood gates, I may have a few more things up my sleeve to add to the mix.  I'm thinking at a minimum, at least 5 Hobby Boxes.  That should get us a nice assortment of base cards as well as inserts and 10-12 "hits".  If I can come up with more than that, I will, but the key is AFFORDABLE...(so no high-end stuff here [unless of course people start demanding it])  I'm also going to work on a way to try and get some type of "hit" to each participant and possibly balance out any team stacks that fail to live up to what I think may be worth their weight of the break fee.

Speaking of break fee?  I'm sure you are all wondering the cost.  I'm pretty sure I will be able to get this to about $10 shipped and probably have two teams per entry.  That way, we can have 15 slots with everyone getting 2 teams (one you pick, one I pick).  Of course the Penguins will be off the table (and any Pittsburgh "hits" will be replaced) but all others will be fair game.  As long as I can get about 1/2 to 3/4 of the board filled, I think this can work out.

Stay tuned for more details.

11 comments:

  1. OK, I'm in for the Blackhawks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For 10 bucks I'm in everyday as long as I get the Nucks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't everyone jump the gun yet and start picking teams. Ill have more details later

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may be interested in this, as long as I can get the Rangers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too late! The gun has already been jumped! Wooo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like fun i would be in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be in if I can get the Wings.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat about it. Leave a comment and start a discussion.