Search This Blog

Friday, August 20, 2010

Trade Post (sort of) - - Under the Bridge

If the first thing that came to mind was the Red Hot Chili Peppers song, they you are 100%, absolutely WRONG!!

This is a Troll post.  And not just any Troll post...a package from Troll post. 

Once upon a time in a far away land, there lived the Collective Troll.  At one point sometime ago, he called out for participation in a group break of epic proportions and all you needed to do to get a spot was...well, I don't remember exactly what we had to do.  It had something to do with buying our way in with cards or something of that nature.  At any rate, this all went down sometime last millennium and I think everyone had forgotten about it until a few weeks ago when we were all reminded that there were packages awaiting arrival at our doorsteps. 

I knew I had the Pirates in the break and after jogging my memory by reviewing many old posts on the Troll Blog, I got a pretty good idea of what I was going to expect to see.  What arrived was so much more, though.

There in my mailbox sat a 330 count box of wonder and amazement.  Not only were the cards that came from the break in there, but there were unopened packs, older Pirates cards, some roller derby stuff (which is always awesome!!), and even some Steelers items.  I was blown away by everything that was in there so I thought I would share some of it with the world. I'm not posting everything, nor am I posting much from the actual break.  I am going to post some of what I think are the highlights.

1994 Stadium Club Andy Van Slyke
I post this card, not for its value or scarcity.  No, this one sums up the Pirates existence from the date this card came off the production line until today.  This is exactly how Pirates fans feel.  Exhausted? Tired? Exasperated? Frustrated? Confused? Angry?  The answer to all of these questions is YES!!  This has to be my vote for the greatest modern era Pirates card of all time.

1985 O-Pee-Chee George Hendrick and Lee Mazzilli
These are the first two OPC Pirates cards I have in my collection from the 1980s.  Although, George is still a Cardinal but we will let that slide.  This was a shocking discovery since I have so much 1980s stuff.

2008 UD Baseball Heroes Roberto Clemente and 2008 Stadium Club Honus Wagner
Here are two modern cards with vintage players.  Not just any players but two of the greatest Pirates of all time.  The 1971 World Series MVP and the man with the most famous and recognizable baseball card of all time.  Reprints, tributes, and retro cards are the closest I will ever get to owning a real Honus Wagner.

1978 O-Pee-Chee Dave Parker/Rod Carew Batting Leaders
Another OPC only this time, an oldie.  When I started collecting, I really didn't even know that OPC was had a card set.  In fact, until I started collecting hockey cards back in the late 80s, I didn't know OPC existed at all.  What an awesome duo to have on a card, though.

1976 Topps Duffy Dyer
There really isn't anything all that special about this card.  Dyer didn't have what you would call a stellar career.  He was Manny Sanguillen's backup for most of his tenure with the Pirates until Manny was dealt to the A's for Chuck Tanner (yes, the manager).  He came back the following year but by that time, Dyer and Ed Ott were well entrenched as the 2 catchers.  What I thought was cool about this card is that Dyer is the name of the town directly west of where I currently reside.  I doubt Troll knew that, or maybe he did, but what a coincidence.  I wonder if Duffy's family tree goes back to mid-1800's Northwest Indiana?

1998 Topps Roberto Clemente Commemorative Set #300
This card comes from a 19 card commemorative set issued back in 1998 which was the 25th anniversary of Roberto Clemente's death.  I have seen this set going from anywhere between $50 to $100.  Now I have a card from it.  It looks like the original, it is glossy, and it is foil stamped. 


A variety of Topps Steelers cards from 1977, 1978, 1980, and 1985. 
These were very unexpected since this was a baseball break and these are clearly not baseball.  They are much cooler though.  4 Steeler greats of the past.  Lambert and Blount are both in the HOF.  Larry Brown played on all four Super Bowl teams in the 70s first as a tight end and then as a tackle.  Mike Merriweather played for the Steelers from 1982-1987 and made the Pro Bowl as a linebacker in 84, 85, and 86. 

2009 Allen & Ginter Ryan Doumit Relic
This is my third A&G relic of a Pirate.  It's Ryan Doumit.  While it's a cool card, I don't know how I feel about Doumit.  Is a catcher, first baseman, outfielder?  Who knows?  It could change on a whim.  He did hit a homer tonight in a losing effort to the Mets.

1987 Fleer Johnny Ray Autograph
I have no idea how he got this autograph, all I know is it is now in my collection.  Johnny Ray, one of the all time best Pirates 2nd baseman, was a personal favorite of mine (in the pre-Bonds era).  The other great thing about this card...look what he is swinging there.  Here's a hint...It's not a bat.

Thanks again Troll.  You are a gentleman and a scholar and a real class act in this hobby.

4 comments:

  1. That Johnny Ray card is AWESOME! Troll rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Johnny Ray card.

    I absolutely love the 1977 Topps football set. If I decide never to pay another bill I will try to collect that set -- even though I don't collect football. That's how much I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Troll does rule.

    I was going to try to collect the 1977 set from every sport but once I headed down that path, it became way too daunting. I gave it up after about a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! Glad you liked everything. Johnny Ray was a fav of mine. A little dude who was a complete pint-sized bad-ass. I got that card signed in person fairly recently...
    I love your comment on the 94 Andy Van card... Totally sums up the last 17 seasons for Bucs fans (and players). Thanks for the kind words! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat about it. Leave a comment and start a discussion.