Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cujo Retires



One of my all-time favorite goalies to watch in the NHL retired on Tuesday. I guess I am late to the party because I just heard about it. Either way, it is a sad day when any of the players you admire hang up their equipment for the last time.


(I have no idea how that crease got in there. That sucks.)

CuJo played for 19 years as an undrafted free agent. Spending much of his career in St. Louis, he later played for Edmonton before moving on to his most memorable stint with the Maple Leafs. He also played for the Coyotes, Flames and Red Wings. His 454 wins is currently good enough for #4 on the career wins list behind Martin Brodeur, Patrick Roy, and "The Hawk" Eddie Belfour. Not bad company to be in, that's for sure. The only thing he doesn't have in common with the others is a Stanley Cup. He never played on a championship team and finished with a 63-66 record in the playoffs.



Here is one of my favorite moments of his career...of course it's a fight...A GOALIE FIGHT!!

2 comments:

  1. #4 in total wins, #2 in total losses, and closing fast. Yeah, good time to hang 'em up.

    I was never a fan of his, but you can't argue his place in the game, even without a Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what happens when you play for 19 years. I was only a fan when he wasn't going against the Pens. I always admired his grit.

    I'm pretty positive he will be a HOF'er.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat about it. Leave a comment and start a discussion.